WASHINGTON, DC - Congressman G. K. Butterfield has been appointed to a key U. S. House subcommittee.
The North Carolina Democrat will serve on the House Energy and Commerce Committee's Subcommittee on Communications and Technology.
The subcommittee oversees all electronic communications, including mobile, satellite, and emergency systems.
Butterfield's appointment fills the vacancy created when Massachusetts Congressman Edward Markey was elected to the U. S. Senate.
- Updated China: Japanese military jets using 'dangerous' tactics
- Pipeline protesters forced back after 141 arrested
- WikiLeaks reveals campaign vexed by 'Bill Clinton Inc.'
- The Cubs and Indians get ready to battle it out in Game 3 of The World Series
- Early voting update: More than 12.6 million votes cast