WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - Authorities say a 16-year-old Boy Scout has died after falling off a cliff at Stone Mountain State Park.
The Winston-Salem Journal reports that Christopher Overcash of Kannapolis died Saturday.
State parks spokesman Charlie Peek says the teen was with a group of Boy Scouts that had camped overnight at the park. Overcash was about 100 yards off the marked trail on the mountain's summit when he fell.
The mountain is a 600-foot-tall granite dome.
Wilkes County emergency director Greg Hendren says the call for help came around noon Saturday. The teen died at the scene.
The state park consists of more than 14,000 acres, bordering the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Thurmond Chatham Game Lands.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Updated Number of vehicle and apartment break-ins reported in Greenville
- Updated A local family's battle with addiction
- Updated US calls Philippines President's Hitler comments 'troubling'
- Worried about fake bank accounts in your name?
- Updated El Cajon police release video of fatal officer-involved shooting