BERTIE COUNTY - A 13-year-old boy was killed, apparently electrocuted, in the aftermath of a Saturday afternoon crash, authorities said.
The scene was in Bertie County, on Highway 42 west of Colerain.
A GMC SUV, driven by Amber Osborne of Cofield, ran off the road and hit a utility pole at approximately 2 p.m., a trooper said.
The pole fell to the ground.
There were six other people in the SUV, including Osborne's 13-year-old son, Zachary Stoyer.
Osborne stepped out of the vehicle and felt a shock on her leg, witnesses told the trooper.
Osborne warned everyone to stay inside the SUV, but her son Zachary had already stepped onto the ground, witnesses told the trooper.
The teenager fell face first onto the ground and died, the trooper said.
An autopsy will determine the official cause of death.
No one else was seriously hurt.
The group was on the way to Zachary's basketball game.
- Updated Kinston teen receives national award
- Updated Kinston Zumba instructor wins award, gets studio makeover
- Updated Democrats: WH contact with FBI an 'outrageous breach'
- Vidant Beaufort Hospital sets visiting restrictions for children
- Mexican-born NASCAR driver Daniel Suarez in the Daytona 500 spotlight