CAHOKIA, Ill. - A 9-year-old boy was charged with first-degree murder, for allegedly beating a baby to death.
According to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, 14-month-old Taquan Willis died on August 26th. The 9-year-old boy allegedly beat the baby to death, as he was sleeping at his mother's home in Cahokia, Illinois, police said.
The unidentified 9-year-old was charged with first-degree murder in juvenile court last week.
In a vigil, the baby's mother had a message for her little boy.
"I just want everyone to know I loved my baby and I wish he was here," Alisha Johnson said. "I'm going to always miss you Taquan, just know that, and I can't wait to see you again."
Because the alleged murderer is just 9 years old, attorneys cannot release any more information. Family friends said the suspect and the victim were not related.
- Carteret Co. Sheriff's Office investigating murder-suicide
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend
- Pine Knoll Shores officials ask public to take precautions during busy holiday
- Traveling Vietnam War memorial in Morehead City for Memorial Day weekend
- NWS confirms tornado touched down in Tyrrell County