GREENVILLE, PITT COUNTY - A Greenville bouncer has been charged for allegedly assaulting an ECU student, causing the victim to require brain surgery.
According to police, 30-year-old Troy Orlando Meadows (pictured left), a bouncer at The Other Place Nightclub at 207 E. 5th St. in Greenville, turned himself in Thursday afternoon. He has been charged with one count of assault inflicting serious bodily injury and was released on a $15,000 secured bond.
Investigators said Meadows assaulted 21-year-old ECU student Joshua Lee Curry (pictured right) at about 1:30 a.m. Tuesday.
According to friends, Curry had gotten kicked out of the OP Nightclub and was waiting outside for his buddies. That was when the bouncer hit Curry in the face, rendering him unconscious, the friends said.
Curry suffered a cracked skull and was taken to Vidant Medical Center, where he had brain surgery on Wednesday, said his family. As of Thursday, he remained in the intensive care unit but was off the ventilator.
Police did not release details on what exactly sparked the alleged assault.
Meadows was a football player at White Oak High School in Jacksonville. He graduated in 2002.
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend