HOLDEN BEACH, N.C. - North Carolina authorities say they've recovered the body of an Ohio man who disappeared while swimming in chilly coastal waters.
Holden Beach Police Chief Wally Layne said the body of 21-year-old Kwesi Sample of Columbus, Ohio, was found early Sunday about a half mile from where he was last seen. He had disappeared Tuesday while swimming in an inlet off the coastal town he was visiting as part of a church conference.
Layne said earlier the inlet's strong current and water temperatures in the low 60s may have been factors in Sample's drowning.
Layne said Sample's body has been released to Brunswick County medical examiners pending release to his family.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Updated Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend