CARTERET COUNTY - The Coast Guard recovered the body of a missing 57-year-old man Sunday near Cape Lookout, N.C, according to a news release. That man has been identified as Bill Vestal of Burlington.
The man was last seen going underwater and not resurfacing while he was surf fishing Nov. 19 on the south end of Portsmouth Island near Morehead City.
A good Samaritan boater notified Coast Guard Sector North Carolina watchstanders via VHF-FM channel 16 at approximately 12:30 p.m. Sunday, reporting finding a body in the water.
A Coast Guard Station Fort Macon boat crew recovered the body and took him to waiting emergency medical services from the Atlantic Beach Fire Department.
While en route, identification was confirmed when the man's wallet was discovered.
- Updated Trump backer tweets cartoon of Clinton in blackface
- Updated Gold Star mom on Kaepernick: I see a flag that draped my son's casket
- Sudan Shriners to hold fundraiser to assist Louisiana flood victims
- Clinton at fundraiser: 'I do not know which Donald Trump will show up' at debates
- Updated Trump disavows robo-call from David Duke