CARTERET COUNTY - The Coast Guard recovered the body of a missing 57-year-old man Sunday near Cape Lookout, N.C, according to a news release. That man has been identified as Bill Vestal of Burlington.
The man was last seen going underwater and not resurfacing while he was surf fishing Nov. 19 on the south end of Portsmouth Island near Morehead City.
A good Samaritan boater notified Coast Guard Sector North Carolina watchstanders via VHF-FM channel 16 at approximately 12:30 p.m. Sunday, reporting finding a body in the water.
A Coast Guard Station Fort Macon boat crew recovered the body and took him to waiting emergency medical services from the Atlantic Beach Fire Department.
While en route, identification was confirmed when the man's wallet was discovered.
- Updated Spurned again in DNC vote, progressives threaten revolt
- Updated Truck rams New Orleans crowd during Mardi Gras parade; 28 injured
- Updated Trump declines to attend White House correspondents' dinner
- Judge rules against dismissing charges against Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl
- Fire reported in old Calypso Fire Station