CHARLOTTE - The Charlotte Bobcats have announced they will officially change their name to the Charlotte Hornets next Tuesday.
The team said in a press release Friday there will be a press conference at its downtown arena to commemorate the change.
The announcement comes nearly one year after team owner Michael Jordan first said he planned to change the name and "bring back the buzz" to Charlotte. Jordan's request for a name change was approved by NBA owners last July.
The Hornets resided in Charlotte from 1988-2002 under then-owner George Shinn before he moved the team - and its name - to New Orleans. New Orleans last year changed its name to the Pelicans under new owner Tom Benson, freeing up Charlotte to reclaim the Hornets name and logo.
- Updated Body found along side of road in Jacksonville
- Updated Law enforcement investigating deputy-involved shooting in Ayden
- UPDATE: No bomb discovered after threat made at West Craven Middle School
- Updated Tornado touches down in Sampson Co., warnings issued elsewhere
- Wood Ducks featured on Xfinity car for Charlotte race