JACKSONVILLE - A bicyclist was hit by a vehicle Tuesday night in Jacksonville at about 10:46 p.m. The wreck happened just across the street from Southwest Elementary School on Highway 53, according to officials.
The bicyclist was identified as Thomas Marshall, 40, of Grandy. He was airlifted to New Hanover Regional Medical Center in Wilmington, police said.
At last check, he was listed in critical condition.
The driver was identified as Jerry Rochelle, 62, of Jacksonville. Police say there will be no charges against Rochelle because the bicyclist did not have the proper headlights and taillights on his bike.
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend
- Pine Knoll Shores officials ask public to take precautions during busy holiday
- Traveling Vietnam War memorial in Morehead City for Memorial Day weekend
- NWS confirms tornado touched down in Tyrrell County
- Animal control investigating chemical burns on dog found in Duplin County