NEW BERN - A beautiful fall weekend is in store for Eastern North Carolina. Other than the winds and few clouds, outdoor activities are looking good. We will start off Saturday with mostly sunny skies and cool. By the time we work our way into the early afternoon, expect to see a few clouds popping up. It will be breezy. Inland winds near 15-20mph and along the coast 20-25mph.
Temperatures will warm into the mid and upper 70's by afternoon, a few degrees below normal. High pressure to the north will build in, interacting with an area of low pressure off the coast.
The difference in that pressure is creating the breezy conditions. With the low well off the coast, we aren't expecting much other than a mix of sun and clouds, breezy and seasonably cool temperatures. Coastal locations may see an isolated shower, but that will be it.
The area of low pressure gets drawn up to the northeast as the high blocks it from moving, however an approaching front from the west will help to push it back out to sea. The front will arrive in the Carolinas by Monday, however by the time it gets here, it will fizzle out. This front will serve mainly to push our "wind machine" away from us and give us a nice stretch of weather over much of next week.
- Updated Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- New Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend