WASHINGTON, BEAUFORT COUNTY - Deputies say 38-year-old Jerry Davis, of Washington, claimed his truck was stolen, but it turns out it was all a scam.
Davis is charged with two counts of felony insurance fraud and conspiracy to obtain property by false pretenses.
Investigators said this all started back in 2008 when Davis reported his truck stolen. No leads were developed at that time.
However, five years later, through the help of a tip, The Sidney Dive Team, discovered the missing truck at the bottom of Tranter's Creek in Washington in early April.
Davis is out on bond. Deputies said an additional arrest in the case is pending.
- Updated Italy earthquake survivors: "The future is finished"
- Updated Court declines to hear appeal on Wisconsin voter ID law before election
- Man arrested in fatal stabbing of two nuns in Mississippi
- Two kayakers bound for Scotland, looking to make history
- Associated Press botches Hillary Clinton report and response