NEW BERN - A young bear was hit by a vehicle Friday morning on a highway in Craven County.
Police responded at 8 a.m. to reports of a bear in the median of Highway 70 in New Bern just east of Highway 17.
Authorities discovered a wounded bear, and it was taken to Craven Animal Hospital for evaluation.
There have been several bear sightings in New Bern in the month of September. One man claims the bear walked through his front and backyard just an hour before the accident. He has the pictures to back it up.
"Well, the neighbor called and said there was a bear in the front yard," Tom Landen Said. "The bear was probably a hell of a lot more nervous than I was."
Landen followed the bear out of his neighborhood. It crossed the street towards a school. He then called police. The pictures display an adolescent bear.
N.C. Wildlife Biologists advised the bear be put down due to its injuries.
- Updated China: Japanese military jets using 'dangerous' tactics
- Pipeline protesters forced back after 141 arrested
- WikiLeaks reveals campaign vexed by 'Bill Clinton Inc.'
- The Cubs and Indians get ready to battle it out in Game 3 of The World Series
- Early voting update: More than 12.6 million votes cast