CARTERET COUNTY - The suspect in a brutal baseball bat beating remains in jail in Carteret County.
Kevin Wells, 24, used a baseball bat to beat Shawn Dixon at Zingo's Express gas station Saturday afternoon, according to a Carteret County Sheriff's Office spokesperson.
Zingo's is on the 2500 block of Highway 101, outside Beaufort.
The beating was the culmination of an argument; the victim and suspect know each other, the spokesperson said.
Dixon suffered severe head injuries and was airlifted to a Greenville hospital.
A hospital official says Dixon was in serious condition Sunday night.
Wells is charged with assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious injury; he's due in court on Tuesday.
- Updated Kinston teen receives national award
- Updated Kinston Zumba instructor wins award, gets studio makeover
- Updated Democrats: WH contact with FBI an 'outrageous breach'
- Vidant Beaufort Hospital sets visiting restrictions for children
- Mexican-born NASCAR driver Daniel Suarez in the Daytona 500 spotlight