RALEIGH - Former game-show host Bob Barker is telling North Carolina lawmakers that caging a live possum for a New Year's Eve event in the mountains isn't good show business.
Barker wrote this week to a Senate committee's members asking them to oppose a bill that would let the organizer of the Brasstown "Possum Drop" keep suspending a possum in a box every Dec. 31 and lowering it gently to the ground.
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals complained about the event. A judge ruled state regulators don't have explicit authority to permit the display. A House bill approved this week would change that.
Barker says the event is inhumane and loopholes for animal abuse shouldn't be created.
PETA released the letter. Barker is a longtime animal rights activist.
- Carteret Co. Sheriff's Office investigating murder-suicide
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend
- Pine Knoll Shores officials ask public to take precautions during busy holiday
- Traveling Vietnam War memorial in Morehead City for Memorial Day weekend
- NWS confirms tornado touched down in Tyrrell County