ALAMANCE COUNTY - A North Carolina baby, who survived a wreck that killed his mother, was declared brain dead and taken off life support.
Will Riggans was declared legally brain dead on Tuesday, at just 10 days old. Doctors said he had been on life support since he was born.
The baby's mother, 21-year-old Megan, and father were on the way to the hospital in Chapel Hill to deliver Will, when their car hydroplaned and crashed in Alamance County on September 1st, the Highway Patrol said.
Megan was killed, while Will suffered head trauma and was deprived of oxygen in utero.
Doctors kept the Megan's heart beating long enough to deliver Will. The father was also injured in the wreck, but was released from the hospital.
Family members said the decided to donate the baby's organs.
Will and his mother will have their funeral services at Concord United Methodist Church in Graham on Friday, followed by a burial. The family is from Staley, in Randolph County.
- Trump meets with top US manufacturers
- Updated Uber pleads with users deleting the app: 'We're hurting'
- New York Times ad seeks the truth ... during the Oscars
- Updated Lejeune High School senior named Marine Corps Military Child of the Year
- One Republican congressman's plan to deal with town hall disrupters