ONSLOW COUNTY - An Onslow County woman is charged with felonies for allegedly stealing money from an elderly man while she was working at an assisted living facility.
According to arrest warrants from the Onslow County Sheriff's Office, 29-year-old Deborah Velez was a certified nursing assistant at Liberty Commons on Henderson Drive in Jacksonville, but stole money on three different occasions while working there.
The warrants say Velez broke into a secured door of a nightstand belonging to an elderly man, and took a total of $2,000 from July 27 to Aug. 2.
Onslow County deputies said they arrested Velez on Tuesday. She is charged with three felony counts of exploiting a disabled or elderly person and three misdemeanor counts of larceny.
Velez is being held under a $30,000 bond at the Onslow County Jail and made her first appearance in court Wednesday morning.
- Updated Before his coma he spoke English; after waking up he's fluent in Spanish
- Updated Auburn to honor Barkley with statue
- Pope opens private summer residence to visitors
- Governor tours Princeville, visits Rocky Mount Disaster Recovery Center
- Former President Bill Clinton taking bus tour through Greenville