JACKSONVILLE - Jacksonville police have made an arrest in the fatal hit and run that occurred around 9:15 pm Wednesday night.
Michael David Appleton, 49, of Jacksonville was taken into custody without incident just before noon Friday. He's been charged with felony hit & run, misdemeanor death by vehicle, and failure to reduce speed to avoid a collision.
Appleton came to the Jacksonville Police Department Thursday afternoon and has cooperated with authorities. He remains in the Onslow County jail under secured bond.
According to investigators pedestrian Joseph Smith, 60, was attempting to cross US 17 between Cox Ave & Thompson St. when he was struck by a small white passenger vehicle.
Smith was taken to Onslow Memorial Hospital where he died from his injuries.
It's the second fatal pedestrian accident in Jacksonville in as many days, both happening less than a half a mile apart.
On Tuesday night, a pick-up truck hit Cynthia Griffith, 55, on Highway 17 near Onslow Drive. That's less than half a mile from the place where Smith was hit and killed. Griffith was taken to Onslow Memorial Hospital, where she later died.
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend