NEW BERN - An Army soldier based at Fort Bragg is heading to prison for stealing bundles of cash while on deployment to Afghanistan.
Former Staff Sgt. Nancy Nicole Smith was sentenced to 20 months in federal prison Thursday after earlier pleading guilty to felony theft of government money. The 27-year-old soldier from Columbia, S.C., admitted taking $100,000 in cash during an overseas deployment with the 7th Special Forces Group in 2009 and 2010.
Assigned to the group's Personnel Service Battalion, Smith was responsible for disbursing money and reconciling the books and records. On at least two occasions, prosecutors say Smith falsified documents to steal bundles of cash she hid in a backpack to smuggle back to the United States.
Smith was also ordered by the court to pay $100,000 in restitution.
- New Havelock PD seeks person of interest in club stabbing
- New Seven Springs man ends up in ICU after fight with detention officers
- Updated Suspects in animal cruelty case to appear in court Monday
- National Boat Safety Week encourages safety in the water
- Pitt County NAACP to hold meeting to discuss families, mental health