PINE KNOLL SHORES - A rare white sea turtle that calls the North Carolina Aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores home turns 2 years old this month, and its caretakers are throwing something of a party.
Nimbus, the unusual young loggerhead, is the centerpiece for the Aug. 14 celebration at the aquarium.
Nimbus was found two years ago in a nest after the other eggs in it had hatched, and brought to the aquarium for care. Next week's Sea Turtle Celebration coincides with hatching season on area beaches.
Visitors to the celebration will get to see Nimbus in an all-new exhibit and even a sneak peek at some of this season's youngest hatchlings.
The Sea Turtle Celebration wraps up the summer Turtle Tuesdays series. Activities are free with admission or membership.
For more information, visit the North Carolina Aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores website.
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend