RALEIGH, WAKE COUNTY - The North Carolina Court of Appeals has ordered a new trial for a Cary man convicted of strangling his wife five years ago.
The court on Tuesday ordered a new trial for 39-year-old Brad Cooper, who had been sentenced to life in prison.
He was convicted in 2011 of first-degree murder in the death of Nancy Cooper, who he said had gone jogging and never returned home.
Nancy Cooper's body was found in a drainage ditch.
The judges said the trail judge made a mistake in limiting the testimony of an expert on a Google Maps search of the site where her body was found.
The court said the Google Map files recovered from Brad Cooper's laptop computer were perhaps the most important pieces of evidence in the trial.