ONSLOW COUNTY - A Marine allegedly shot and killed his neighbor's dog, animal services officials said.
Chris Goodson, 24, was accused of killing the golden retriever on Monday after 7 p.m., said Alan Davis, director of Onslow County Animal Services.
The shooting happened at a home near Maysville, in the Belgrade-Swansboro area, Onslow County deputies said. The dog's owner, Lynn Sumner, told investigators that her golden retriever was shot and killed by her neighbor.
There are conflicting stories among neighbors in the area. Some say the dog was passive and gentle. However, another neighbor said the dog was acting aggressive and lunged at Goodson.
Davis said when deputies arrived, they found Goodson taking the dog's body into the woods on the back of a truck.
The incident was being investigated by the Onslow County Sheriff's Office and Onslow County Animal Services, with the latter to decide on charges.
- Updated Woman has baby instead of kidney stones
- Updated Trump lays out 'urban renewal' proposals
- Updated The world's busiest Rolls-Royce dealer is in Abu Dhabi
- Updated Polls: Clinton leads in New Hampshire, tied with Trump in Nevada
- Updated Syrian airstrikes hit school, killing 20 children, rescuers say