A family pet has died in a house fire in Winterville, according to the Winterville Fire Department.
Assistant Chief Tony Smart said the call came in at about 9:45 Monday night. He said the house on Johnson Lane sustained moderate fire and water damage.
"Upon our arrival we found a house that was heavily involved with smoke. Um, had a moderate amount of fire involved. Um, we extinguished the fire pretty quickly," he said.
Nonika Moye said none of her family was home when the fire broke out, except for their precious 10-year-old jack russell terrier named Gizzy.
"We got a phone call from my cousin telling us that this neighbor across the street said my mama's house was on fire. So we just came as quick as we could," she said.
Moye said the family has never had to deal with this kind of tragedy.
"We was just devastated, shocked. [We] didn't know how to react to this whole situation," Moye said.
Moye said the family lost most of their photos in the fire.
"Everything is charred. There are no walls. There's nothing," she said.
Crews worked tirelessly to stop the fire from spreading to the whole house. However, they couldn't save the family's dog. He died in the fire.
"He was a happy dog, always in something. Yeah, he was a good dog ...They are building him, I'm gonna say a dog casket, and we're going to bury him in the backyard," Moye said.
Officials said the fire started in the hallway and left significant damage to several bedrooms. They are still working to determine exactly how this fire started.
"I'm just gonna help my mama any way I can. You know, we help each other. That's all I know to do," Moye said.
Red Cross is helping the family out with a place to stay for the next few days, along with providing clothing and food. 24 restore is also helping the family. The family hopes to be able to restore some of the clothing from the home that wasn't burned in the fire.
The home is not a total loss, according to officials. However, the damage is significant enough that the family can't stay there.