FARMVILLE, PITT COUNTY - A Food Lion in Pitt County is back open after a carbon monoxide leak early Thursday morning that sent almost 20 people to the hospital.
The carbon monoxide leak happened at about 2 a.m. Thursday at the Food Lion on Highway 258 in Farmville.
Noel Lee, the director of Pitt County Emergency Services, said contract workers were doing renovation work when the leak happened. Their equipment may have caused the leak, Lee said.
One worker passed out, said Town Manager David Hodgkins.
In all, 18 or 19 workers went to Vidant Medical Center for treatment; some went on their own while others were transported by first-responders, said Lee. There was no word on the severity of the injuries.
The Food Lion was closed following the leak, but has since reopened.
Officials with the Department of Labor are investigating.
- NOAA predicts above-average hurricane season for 2017
- Couple watches in horror as kittens tossed from moving car, run over
- Havelock Police, high school students explore the horrors of drunk driving
- Facility for developmentally disabled gets overhauled kitchen
- Coast Guard to use air units in search for local fishing crew