GOLDSBORO, WAYNE COUNTY - COLUMBUS COUNTY, NC (WWAY) -- The Air Force confirms it is investigating an airman at Seymour Johnson Air Force Base for his involvement in the death of his child. The child's body was found in Columbus County Tuesday afternoon.
Matthew Theurer was in the Sampson County Jail. Sampson County Sheriff Jimmy Thornton says officials from the Air Force picked Theurer up around 1:30 p.m. Theurer is charged with child endangerment, negligent homicide and involuntary manslaughter.
Columbus County Sheriff Chris Batten says his office got a call from investigators at Seymour Johnson Air Force base yesterday, who said a baby's body may be in a trash bag in the county. Based on the tip, deputies located the body in a wooded area off NC 905 about three-quarters of a mile from Gore Chapel Road near Nakina. Batten says his officers maintained the scene until Air Force investigators could arrive to take over.
- Updated Illinois to yank billions from Wells Fargo amid scandal
- Gingrich rebukes Trump for late-night Twitter rant
- Clinton improves edge over Trump in new national poll
- Dollar General facing $250K bill over 2 bottles of juice
- Weld 'not sure anybody is more qualified than Hillary Clinton' to be president