CHAPEL HILL - The Student-Athlete Human Rights Project is filing a civil rights complaint against the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
The group is claiming discrimination against male and particularly black male athletes who were placed in courses requiring just a research paper.
They allege gender and race discrimination because the classes didn't provide a quality education.
Classes under investigation are in the African and Afro-American Studies Department.
The group says the classes were treated as independent studies with little to no classroom time and significant athlete enrollments.
- Updated Kraft Heinz pulls plug on massive Unilever bid
- Updated Vice President Pence visits former Nazi concentration camp
- Priebus denies collusion between Trump campaign, Russian officials
- Bernstein: Trump's attacks on the press 'more treacherous' than Nixon's
- Syria ceasefire opens door for political solution, UN says