CHAPEL HILL - The Student-Athlete Human Rights Project is filing a civil rights complaint against the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
The group is claiming discrimination against male and particularly black male athletes who were placed in courses requiring just a research paper.
They allege gender and race discrimination because the classes didn't provide a quality education.
Classes under investigation are in the African and Afro-American Studies Department.
The group says the classes were treated as independent studies with little to no classroom time and significant athlete enrollments.
- Bill Nunn, famous for 'Do the Right Thing' role, dies at 62
- Updated Jordanian writer who shared cartoon mocking ISIS killed outside courthouse
- Security beefs up for Panthers game amid Charlotte protests
- Fifth night of Charlotte protests remain largely peaceful
- Updated Suicide bomber kills at least 6 in Iraq