CHAPEL HILL - The Student-Athlete Human Rights Project is filing a civil rights complaint against the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
The group is claiming discrimination against male and particularly black male athletes who were placed in courses requiring just a research paper.
They allege gender and race discrimination because the classes didn't provide a quality education.
Classes under investigation are in the African and Afro-American Studies Department.
The group says the classes were treated as independent studies with little to no classroom time and significant athlete enrollments.
- Updated U.K. approves crucial third runway at London's Heathrow
- Updated Judge approves Volkswagen's $15B emissions settlement
- Updated NBA: 10 big predictions for the new season
- Updated Drinking two sweetened drinks per day? You could be doubling your risk of diabetes
- Updated Rain expected from Upper Midwest to New England