CATERET COUNTY - Deputies said they have arrested a habitual felon wanted by several law enforcement agencies in Carteret County.
The Carteret County Sheriff's Office arrested 37-year-old Billy Ray Gibby, of Newport, on Thursday.
Investigators said Gibby was wanted on outstanding warrants from Atlantic Beach Police, Morehead City Police and N.C. Probation & Parole.
Deputies said when they approached Gibby's vehicle to arrest him, he jumped out and escaped on foot into a nearby wooded area. A K-9 officer was able to eventually find the suspect.
Gibby faces the following charges:
Felony probation violations;
Breaking and entering;
Larceny after breaking and entering;
Conspiracy to commit larceny;
Resist, obstruct and delay officers;
Possession of drug paraphernalia.
Gibby was placed in the Carteret County Jail under a $139,000.00 bond. His first court appearance was scheduled for Friday.
- Fallen local soldier to be honored at weekend NASCAR race
- Investigators stay mum 24 hours after body thought to be missing man's found in ditch
- Many blueberry farmers picking crop earlier than normal
- Demolition date set for old New Bern Days Inn
- Tyrrell County residents brace for more after damaging Tuesday storms