CATERET COUNTY - Deputies said they have arrested a habitual felon wanted by several law enforcement agencies in Carteret County.
The Carteret County Sheriff's Office arrested 37-year-old Billy Ray Gibby, of Newport, on Thursday.
Investigators said Gibby was wanted on outstanding warrants from Atlantic Beach Police, Morehead City Police and N.C. Probation & Parole.
Deputies said when they approached Gibby's vehicle to arrest him, he jumped out and escaped on foot into a nearby wooded area. A K-9 officer was able to eventually find the suspect.
Gibby faces the following charges:
Felony probation violations;
Breaking and entering;
Larceny after breaking and entering;
Conspiracy to commit larceny;
Resist, obstruct and delay officers;
Possession of drug paraphernalia.
Gibby was placed in the Carteret County Jail under a $139,000.00 bond. His first court appearance was scheduled for Friday.
- 49ers QB sits during national anthem in protest
- Man arrested in fatal stabbing of 2 nuns in Mississippi
- Italy earthquake: A country in mourning begins burying the dead
- New Pence: Trump is 'a CEO at work' on immigration
- A state politician voicing concerns over the Whitewater Center reopening following amoeba death