ROSE HILL, DUPLIN COUNTY - An estimated 1,500 chickens were killed when a truck carrying them crashed in Duplin County while heading to a processing plant.
According to the Highway Patrol, the wreck happened on Cornwallis Road, west of Rose Hill, at about 10:30 a.m. Thursday.
Investigators said the man behind the wheel, Willie McGee Jr., was driving too fast on a curve, causing the truck to crash. He will be charged with traveling at an unsafe speed, troopers said.
His truck was carrying about 3,000 live chickens to the House of Raeford plant. According to the company, about half of the birds were killed in the wreck.
- Updated 'China's Jack the Ripper' caught after 28 years on the run
- Updated Trump backer tweets cartoon of Clinton in blackface
- Gold Star mom on Kaepernick: I see a flag that draped my son's casket
- Updated Sudan Shriners to hold fundraiser to assist Louisiana flood victims
- Clinton at fundraiser: 'I do not know which Donald Trump will show up' at debates