ROSE HILL, DUPLIN COUNTY - An estimated 1,500 chickens were killed when a truck carrying them crashed in Duplin County while heading to a processing plant.
According to the Highway Patrol, the wreck happened on Cornwallis Road, west of Rose Hill, at about 10:30 a.m. Thursday.
Investigators said the man behind the wheel, Willie McGee Jr., was driving too fast on a curve, causing the truck to crash. He will be charged with traveling at an unsafe speed, troopers said.
His truck was carrying about 3,000 live chickens to the House of Raeford plant. According to the company, about half of the birds were killed in the wreck.
- Updated Christopher Suggs takes action against gun violence in Kinston
- Updated Eerily quiet: 38 days of near-silence for stocks
- Updated Chris Brown arrest adds to troubled history
- Updated Predicted rainy forecast forces high schools to move more games
- Updated Poll: Clinton favorability slides to equal Trump