NEW BERN, CRAVEN COUNTY - It didn't take long for Christmas to take over downtown New Bern. Less than 24 hours after Thanksgiving, Santa Claus made a trip to bear town to make an appearance, and brought some snow with him.
It's called a Very Beary Christmas. People from New Bern and many surrounding towns flock to New Bern's downtown area to share some holiday cheer with one another. "It's wonderful, there's so much to see and do. The children are having a great time and they've just done a really great job this year," said Barbara Brooks.
For Charley Fort, it was his first Christmas celebration in town. "This is terrific. We just moved here a couple months ago. New Bern has been the best town to move to," said Fort.
All the usual Christmas faces made an appearance, including Mrs. Claus. Even the Grinch stopped by, but he was on his best behavior.
Around 6 p.m., the big man himself, Mr. Santa Claus arrived. It was in the 40's, but he brought some snow with him. "I'm thrilled to death to be here in New Bern, to turn these lights on here at this fabulous place. I just wish everybody a merry Christmas and a happy new year," said Santa.
They'll have snow in downtown New Bern every Friday leading up to Christmas. They also plan to have snow the entire weekend leading up to the big day.
- Man arrested in fatal stabbing of 2 nuns in Mississippi
- Italy earthquake: A country in mourning begins burying the dead
- Updated Amid Zika fears, Florida theme parks offer mosquito repellent
- New Vandemere Waterfront Park reopens five years after Hurricane Irene destruction
- Stand Up Outfitters 5th annual Colonial paddle board race