Update: Burn barrel causes home fire
Family members say flaming trash in a burn barrel blew over Saturday and caused a fire that destroyed the family's home.
The Red Cross is helping the family of five.
The single-wide mobile home, on Bowdens Rd. near Warsaw, was destroyed in the fire, according to the Warsaw Fire Department.
A woman says she and her husband had been working in the yard, when they needed to run an errand.
"He thought he put all the fire out double checked as a matter of fact. We didn't see any ember, but evidently the wind shifted when we pulled out and took a spark underneath the trailer," said the woman, who did not want to be identified.
One of the family's three children has severe ADHD and asthma, and his medication was destroyed in the fire.
The family was two payments away from having the home paid off, they said.
Fire crews in Duplin County got the call about 3:30 p.m. Saturday.
No one was hurt.
The family has three boys ages 10, eight and seven.
If you would like to help the family, contact Sam Kornegay at 919-293-4421. He will be collecting items at Warsaw Pentecostal Holiness Church.
Copyright 2012 by WCTI12. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.