Red Cross provides temporary housing for family displaced in fire
The Onslow County Chapter of the American Red Cross will be providing housing for the Cheshire family until a long-term housing solution can be resolved, said officials Saturday. For now, Diana Cheshire, and her son John, who do not have family in town, will be staying at a local hotel in Jacksonville.
An Onslow County family lost all of their possessions in an early morning house fire three days before Christmas.
At approximately 1 a.m. Saturday, the Piney Green Volunteer Fire Department was dispatched to the 1100 block of Rocky Run road in Midway Park.
Fire officials said the home was completely engulfed when they arrived on scene. Members of the Hubert Volunteer Fire Department, White Oak Volunteer Fire Department, Pumpkin Center Volunteer Fire Department, and other units worked to save the home.
The home is a total loss, said officials.
NewsChannel 12 talked with the family in a nearby hotel room. Diana Cheshire, and her 23-year-old son John Cheshire, rented the mobile home. Both family members suffer from disabilities, said Cheshire.
The family lost all their clothing, furniture, food items, pictures, and medications. Cheshire said her biggest fear now is being homeless. Additionally, the family did not have renter's insurance.
The Red Cross has arranged a hotel room for the family for the next three days.
Investigators said the fire started in the back portion of the home, however, they cannot give an exact cause due to the severe extent of damage. Foul play is not suspected.
NewsChannel 12 is working to determine where donations can be dropped off for the family.
Copyright 2012 by WCTI12. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.