The N.C. Department of Transportation's ferry routes could be affected by a storm expected to hit the coastal area on Wednesday and Thursday. The National Weather Service says the storm could bring strong gusty winds and possible coastal flooding. Gale watches are posted along the North Carolina coast.
NCDOT Ferry Division crews have prepared their docking facilities to be ready in case routes need to be shut down when the storm arrives, making ferry travel potentially unsafe.
Travelers who have reservations or plans to use ferry routes are advised to check with the departure terminal for up-to-date information. The phone numbers are:
· Ocracoke - (252) 928-1665
· Cedar Island - (252) 225-7411
· Swan Quarter - (252) 926-6021
· Hatteras - (252) 986-2353
· Cherry Branch - (252) 447-1055
· Southport - (910) 457-6942
· Fort Fisher - (910) 458-3329
· Bayview-Aurora - (252) 964-4521
· Currituck-Knotts Island - (252) 232-2683
Travelers can also call 800-293-3779 (BY-FERRY) and Press 1 for up-to-date ferry information, or sign up to receive Tweets on their personal cell phones by going to <www.twitter.com/ncdot_ferry>.