Mother rushes disabled daughter out of house fire
A house fire Saturday evening forced a local mother to act quickly to get herself and her disabled daughter out of their home.
Toni White, above, was treated for smoke inhalation after the incident.
She lives on Jones Street, off Pollock Street near downtown New Bern, with her 24-year-old daughter.
The home's water heater sparked the fire at approximately 5:15 p.m., White said.
She got her daughter out of the residence, but then went back inside to try to find her keys and phone, she said.
That's when she was overcome by smoke and had to leave.
The fire left two rooms with substantial damage, according to New Bern Fire Marshal Danny Hill.
White and her daughter cannot stay in the home, for now, due to the damage, Hill said.
No one was seriously hurt.
Copyright 2013 by WCTI12. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.