The Red Cross was helping an Onslow County father and his two teenage children, after they lost their home to a fire Monday night.
According to investigators, the single-wide mobile home, off Half Moon Church Road in Jacksonville, caught fire just before 6 p.m., and was deemed a total loss.
Benjamin Brock, a single father, and his teenage son and daughter lived at that home. Brock told News Channel 12 that he had just left the home to pick up his daughter. But an hour later, his 15-year-old son called.
“I called my dad and I was shaking and I was stuttering a lot,” said Simeon Brock. “ I was telling my dad he needs to hurry up and come back home cause my room was on fire.”
“He said the house was on fire,” said Benjamin Brock.” I said what? He said the house was on fire. I said where you at? I'm here trying to put the fire out. I said well you need to get out.”
“All I remembered was I woke up and I smelled the smoke and it as pitch black dark in my room. I rolled over and looked at my left and my fan was on fire and the bottom of my comforter that was on the ground in the carpet was on fire. It was like a wall of fire,” the Simeon said.
The teen said he tried to put the flames out with a blanket before running out. Bear, the family's dog, was still inside, locked in his cage. Simeon said the smoke was just too thick to try and save the dog.
“I feel like God was watching over me cause if it wasn't for that, the smoke probably would've killed me cause I lost my dog to the smoke," Simeon said.
"I just thank God that I have my son the rest of it is material stuff," his father said.
Investigators ruled the fire as accidental, but did not release information on a specific cause.