Home destroyed by morning fire

Family has lived in home for more than 20 years

By Mahsa Saeidi, Reporter
POSTED: 1:58 PM Jun 27 2012   UPDATED: 11:22 PM Jun 27 2012
29 East Drive, Jacksonville NC
JACKSONVILLE -

A fire on East Drive in Jacksonville has left a family with nothing but their lives.

Sue White said she smelled the smoke around 7:30 Wednesday morning and called 911 for help when she saw flames in her laundry room.

"I caught out of the corner of my eye some flames, and I turned around, there were flames coming out between the washer and the dryer," said White.

Crews responded to 29 East Drive, but the home couldn't be saved. The inside was left decimated by flames and water damage. Jacksonville firefighters said the home is a total loss.  Fire officials said the fire did likely start in the laundry room, and was probably caused by an electrical issue.

Sue and her husband, who is a retired U.S. Marine Staff Sergeant, have been in the home for more than 20 years.

"Possessions can be replaced, and my husband and I are fine.  We have two daughters who live here, will be bunking out with them," said White.