A more than 100-year-old home is gutted by flames in Onslow County.
Firefighters say the fire happened in Richlands at 531 Comfort Road. Several fire departments were called to the scene late Monday night.
A woman, who has not been identified by investigators, lived inside the home with many pets. No one was injured, but Richlands firefighters said one dog did die in the fire.
"We consider it to be a complete loss," said Onslow County Fire Marshal Brian Kelly.
Kelly says flames engulfed the two story farm house, gutting its insides. So far, the investigation has revealed that the fire started in the back of the home, near the kitchen area.
Kelly says the occupant of the home said there were no smoke detectors inside the home.
"If the occupant would have been asleep, the outcome could have been
totally different," said Kelly. "It could have been worse than the pets."
Kelly says working smoke alarms are key to surviving a fire. The investigation is ongoing, but officials do not suspect foul play.