NEW BERN -

An electrical light on a balcony caught fire, seriously damaging four units at an apartment building and displacing the families who lived there.

The fire happened at about 8:25 p.m. Tuesday at Westberry Villas, across from the Bosch plant on Neuse Blvd.  A wall-mounted light on a second-floor balcony somehow erupted in flames and spread throughout the building, Fire Marshal Danny Hill said. The fire caused moderate to heavy fire damage in two apartment units, and smoke and water damage in two other units.

No one was injured, Hill said. But the four families who lived in the apartment building were unable to return home because all the damaged units became uninhabitable, Hill said. Three of the families were being helped by the American Red Cross and the remaining family was being taken care of by relatives.

Investigators had ruled the fire as non-suspicious, Hill said.  They were still working to see what exactly cause the electrical light to catch fire.

About half a mile on Neuse Blvd. was shut down Tuesday night because of the fire. That section of the road had since reopened.