Fire erupts at couple's home, causing extensive damage

POSTED: 5:57 PM Mar 07 2013
Swansboro house fire
SWANSBORO, ONSLOW COUNTY -

A couple escaped a house fire that caused more than $50,000 in damage, investigators said.

The blaze erupted at a home at 224 Pigeon Lane in Swansboro, at about 12:30 p.m. Thursday. Firefighters said the home, owned by Mr. and Mrs. Brice Lester, suffered about $35,000 in structural damage. In addition, the fire caused about $20,000 in damage to items inside.

The couple escaped the home without injuries. The fire was ruled as being accidental, caused by smoking material, investigators said.