NEW BERN, CRAVEN COUNTY - A 93-year-old New Bern woman is extra vigilant after finding a strange man banging on her door.
Mary said the man had tried to get in her home, and broke the handle off of her back door.
She lives off Highway 17 near Grover C. Fields Middle School.
NewsChannel 12 is not using Mary's last name or giving her specific address because she is frightened after the Tuesday morning incident.
"If he had gotten in the house, I don't know what he would have done," Mary said.
The man had made a night of lurking around the house, Mary believes.
After sleeping on her back stoop, he took a shower using her hose, she thinks.
"[The man] came up, and was soaking wet," said Willie, a neighbor.
Both Mary and Willie believe the man was drunk or under the influence of some other drug.
He repeatedly asked Mary for her clothes, which she did not have, she said.
Police removed the man, in his mid-30s, from the scene.
The visitor, whom police did not identify, was not arrested because he agreed to pay for the damage to Mary's house, police said.
Mary was not hurt but is emotionally shaken.
She has lived in her home for more than 50 years, but "this is the first time something has scared me like he did," she said.
- Updated Death of senior leader al-Adnani caps bad month for ISIS
- Ryan Lochte's new endorsement deal is for crime prevention device
- Beaufort County deputies arrest registered sex offender living in Chocowinity
- Fire chief killed in workers' bus crash remembered as 'amazing'
- ECU professor predicts presidential election results