NEW HANOVER COUNTY - Deputies said they are investigating a home invasion in which the intruder woke up the resident in her bedroom, demanded valuables, then shot the victim.
Investigators said it happened on Alamosa Drive in New Hanover County Monday morning. According to deputies, a sleeping woman inside the home was awoken by the intruder in her bedroom, who then said, "Give me your stuff. Where's it at?"
The woman yelled for the intruder to leave, but he shot the victim in the shoulder, deputies said. The robber then stole items from the victim's bedroom and escaped in a vehicle waiting on the side of the house, said investigators.
An EMS crew treated the victim's shoulder wound, but she refused to go to the hospital, deputies said. She described the man who shot her as a 5'9'' black male wearing a red hooded sweatshirt.
Deputies said the victim saw a second suspect in her home, but could not make out what the person looked like.
Anyone with information on the robbery is asked to call the New Hanover County Sheriff's Office at 910-798-4162.
- Updated Kerry in leaked audio: "I lost the argument" for use of force in Syria
- Updated Hurricane Matthew roars toward Jamaica as Category 5
- Bees placed on endangered species list -- a first in the US
- Trump on Clinton: 'I can be nastier than she ever can be'
- Illinois to yank billions from Wells Fargo amid scandal