KINSTON, LENOIR COUNTY - An 85-year-old driver survives after a train hit her car in Kinston Friday morning, officials said.
According to the Kinston Department of Public Safety, the collision happened on Herritage Street at about 9:54 a.m. Friday.
The 85-year-old car driver, Mattie Vause Ambrose, of Kinston, told investigators she had slowed down to cross the tracks when she heard the train horn. She then came to a stop on the tracks. But by the time she saw the train coming from the west, the guard arm had come down in front of her vehicle, said investigators.
Ambrose says, "O lord I said I can't make this out of here cause once they lock you up-- you up.
Ambrose then tried to reverse her car. But the train hit the vehicle's front right quarter panel and spun the car off the tracks, said the Kinston Department of Public Safety.
The woman's 1995 Buick is a total loss, but fortunately she was not hurt.
Investigators say Ambrose will not face any charges.
- Updated Dog recovering after being hit by hunting arrow
- Updated Kerry in leaked audio: "I lost the argument" for use of force in Syria
- Hurricane Matthew roars toward Jamaica as Category 5
- Bees placed on endangered species list -- a first in the US
- Trump on Clinton: 'I can be nastier than she ever can be'