CHARLOTTE (WSOC) - Authorities announced Thursday morning that federal and local law enforcement made dozens of arrests in the Charlotte area as part of a massive gang crackdown operation.
According to sources, the arrests of dozens of Bloods gang members took place early Thursday morning with teams of agents and officers conducting the roundup.
Authorities said 83 United Blood Nation members were charged in the 163-page indictment, the largest single indictment in the history of the North Carolina Western District.
The gang members are accused in murders and other crimes, sources said.
Channel 9 was with heavily armed FBI agents as they wrapped up their operation in Cleveland County.
Channel 9 was also at the federal courthouse in uptown Charlotte and watched as numerous suspects arrived in handcuffs, and there was a noticeable extra police presence.
Neither the FBI nor the U.S. Attorney’s Office has released any specifics about the operation.
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend