NEW BERN, CRAVEN COUNTY - Hundred packed into local convenience stores in New Bern to cash in at the chance to win one of the largest Powerball jackpots in the country.
$600 million are up for grabs this Saturday. The winnings sky rocketed after no one claimed the $363 million winnings Wednesday night. After taxes that's a $376.9 million lump sum payment.
"There's only one way to win and that's to play so I figured I'd take my chances," said one lottery participant.
"I got five 'cause, shoot, as much as that thing is costing I need some money," said another lottery participant.
According to the Powerball website, the odds of winning are 1 in 175 million.
"I'm more likely to get mauled by a polar bear in North Carolina than to win," said an opponent of the lottery.
"Might as well have a dream," said one lottery participant." It's certainly inexpensive and if you do win then I guess you proved them wrong."
The winning numbers will be announced Saturday night. Tickets for Saturday's drawing can be purchased until 9 p.m. ET Saturday.
If no one wins the big jackpot in Saturday night's drawing the prize is expected to soar to nearly $1 billion.
- Fallen local soldier to be honored at weekend NASCAR race
- Investigators stay mum 24 hours after body thought to be missing man's found in ditch
- Many blueberry farmers picking crop earlier than normal
- Demolition date set for old New Bern Days Inn
- Tyrrell County residents brace for more after damaging Tuesday storms