CONETOE, EDGECOMBE COUNTY - A mother and her six-year-old son were injured when a train hit their car as it was crossing the train's tracks.
State trooper S.A. MacFarland says the crash happened in Conetoe, at the train tracks on Glenview Lane, near Highway 64 around 4:15 Thursday afternoon.
The trooper says 24-year-old Amanda Reagin and her six-year-old son were hurt when the train hit the passenger side of Reagin's car.
Both victims were taken to Vidant Medical Center in Greenville. Trooper MacFarland says the pair's injuries were "evident" but not life-threatening.
The investigation is still ongoing. Trooper MacFarland would not say whether the train was sounding its horn when it hit the car.
- Vietnam Traveling Memorial Wall arrives in Morehead City
- NOAA predicts above-average hurricane season for 2017
- Couple watches in horror as kittens tossed from moving car, run over
- Havelock Police, high school students explore the horrors of drunk driving
- Facility for developmentally disabled gets overhauled kitchen