BUIES CREEK, HARNETT COUNTY - Troopers say three people have died in a crash in Harnett County after the driver of a pickup truck sped away from a license checkpoint.
The North Carolina Highway Patrol said the checkpoint was set up on U.S. Highway 421 near Campbell University around 2:30 a.m. Sunday.
Troopers say 23-year-old Shane Garner of Coats was driving the truck and didn't stop for the checkpoint. Authorities say he turned off U.S. 421, lost control and hit a tree. The truck burst into flames.
Authorities say Garner, 20-year-old Austin Ferrell of Buies Creek and 16-year-old Casey Edens of Lillington were killed in the wreck. Two 17-year-old women from Fuquay Varina survived, but are in critical condition.
Troopers think Garner had been drinking alcohol. They continue to investigate the crash.
- New New Bern Police arrest man in early-morning shooting
- New Report of rabies reported in Cape Carteret
- Updated White House effort to justify travel ban causes growing concern for some intelligence officials
- New Response to drug activity leads to arrest
- Caught on video: Plane's landing gear collapses in Amsterdam