CARTERET COUNTY - Three firefighters were treated for heat exhaustion during the battle against a Saturday house fire in Carteret County.
Fire crews were called to the house on the 900 block of Crow Hill Road, near Beaufort, at approximately 2 p.m., a fire official said.
The heat index in the area at that time was approximately 95 degrees.
The fire started above the garage; the specific cause is still under investigation, the fire official said.
The house is a total loss, but the residents were able to salvage several important items, including a marriage license and family photos.
The residents of the house were not home at the time of the fire.
The firefighters who needed treatment for heat exhaustion got help at the scene.
No one else was hurt.
Five fire departments battled the blaze, with some crews being on the scene for approximately seven hours.
- Updated Dog recovering after being hit by hunting arrow
- Updated Kerry in leaked audio: "I lost the argument" for use of force in Syria
- Updated Hurricane Matthew roars toward Jamaica as Category 5
- Bees placed on endangered species list -- a first in the US
- Trump on Clinton: 'I can be nastier than she ever can be'