PENDER COUNTY - Authorities are investigating after a 2-year-old boy was hit by a car and killed in Pender County.
The Highway Patrol says the boy was killed Saturday at around 8:30 p.m. at a private home.
Officials say a 28-year-old driver was backing up and struck the child. The toddler was taken to the hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.
Authorities are still investigating the situation, but no charges have been filed. Troopers have said there was a large gathering at the home that night and that they didn't know if the driver and the boy were related.
- NOAA predicts above-average hurricane season for 2017
- Couple watches in horror as kittens tossed from moving car, run over
- Havelock Police, high school students explore the horrors of drunk driving
- Facility for developmentally disabled gets overhauled kitchen
- Coast Guard to use air units in search for local fishing crew