PENDER COUNTY - Authorities are investigating after a 2-year-old boy was hit by a car and killed in Pender County.
The Highway Patrol says the boy was killed Saturday at around 8:30 p.m. at a private home.
Officials say a 28-year-old driver was backing up and struck the child. The toddler was taken to the hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.
Authorities are still investigating the situation, but no charges have been filed. Troopers have said there was a large gathering at the home that night and that they didn't know if the driver and the boy were related.
- Updated Oakland victim's mother: He didn't go there to die
- Updated 'Moonlight' named best picture by L.A. Film Critics
- Updated Trump warns Wall Street: I'm going to cut drug prices
- Updated Michelle Obama: I went to bed before Trump won
- Updated India's central bank says cash crisis is hurting the economy