DURHAM, N.C. - Two teenagers and a 12-year-old girl have been charged in the shooting death of a Durham man during a carjacking.
Investigators say the three approached 35-year-old Johnny Danilo Villatoro on Friday night and asked him for a ride before carjacking and shooting him. Authorities found Villatoro lying in the street, and he later died at a hospital.
Police say the 12-year-old suspect accidentally shot herself in the stomach and leg while inside Villatoro's car. She was being treated for non-life-threatening injuries and was expected to survive.
The 12-year-old and two teens, ages 14 and 16, are being charged with murder. It wasn't known if any of them had attorneys or when they would appear in court.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Traveling Vietnam War memorial in Morehead City for Memorial Day weekend
- Pine Knoll Shores officials ask public to take precautions during busy holiday
- NWS confirms tornado touched down in Tyrrell County
- Updated Animal control investigating chemical burns on dog found in Duplin County
- Greenville Hilton earns accolades thanks to guest satisfaction