DURHAM, N.C. - Two teenagers and a 12-year-old girl have been charged in the shooting death of a Durham man during a carjacking.
Investigators say the three approached 35-year-old Johnny Danilo Villatoro on Friday night and asked him for a ride before carjacking and shooting him. Authorities found Villatoro lying in the street, and he later died at a hospital.
Police say the 12-year-old suspect accidentally shot herself in the stomach and leg while inside Villatoro's car. She was being treated for non-life-threatening injuries and was expected to survive.
The 12-year-old and two teens, ages 14 and 16, are being charged with murder. It wasn't known if any of them had attorneys or when they would appear in court.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Updated Christian bakers who refused to make 'gay cake' lose discrimination appeal
- Updated Parent punches student in the stomach in a school hallway, then just walks away
- Singer Kellie Pickler's father arrested in eastern N.C.
- Spidey-strength: Aussie arachnid carts off mouse-sized snack
- Battle for Mosul: How ISIS is fighting to keep its Iraqi stronghold