BEAUFORT COUNTY - Two men were killed in two separate wrecks in Beaufort County just a day apart.
According to the Highway Patrol, the latest wreck happened on U.S. 264, about 4 miles west of Washington, early Tuesday morning. Chester Allen Davenport, 62, may have had medical condition when he crashed his vehicle, troopers said.
Investigators said the wreck involved only Davenport's vehicle, but did not release any other details.
An earlier wreck in Beaufort County also killed a man. Troopers said 86-year-old Emil Shutak was driving on Highway 92, approximately 2 miles west of Bath, at about 2 a.m. on Monday. That was when Shutak lost control and hit a mailbox. His car then went airborne and crashed into a ditch and a tree, before flipping over, troopers said.
Shutak had to be cut out of his vehicle, said investigators. He died while being taken to a hospital.
- Carteret Co. Sheriff's Office investigating murder-suicide
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Pine Knoll Shores officials ask public to take precautions during busy holiday