RALEIGH, NORTH CAROLINA - Two men arrested following a mishap with a thrill ride at the North Carolina State Fair are set to appear in court on assault charges.
Timothy Dwayne Tutterrow and Joshua Gene Macaroni, both of Quitman, Ga., are scheduled to appear Monday morning before a Wake County judge. They are each charged with two counts of assault with a deadly weapon and one count of felony assault on a juvenile with a deadly weapon.
Tutterrow was operating the Vortex ride last month when it suddenly spun into motion as people were trying to get out, flinging patrons through the air and seriously injuring three people. Macaroni owns the ride, but was not present during the mishap.
Wake County Sheriff's investigators say the ride was tampered with to bypass critical safety equipment.
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend