VIRGINIA - Two men from Eastern Carolina were killed in a boating accident in Virginia over the weekend.
Police told ABC affiliate WVEC that 52-year-old Phillip Earl Smallwood and 51-year-old William T. Smallwood, both of Windsor in Bertie County, died in the accident Sunday afternoon. It happened in the James River near the Monitor–Merrimac Memorial Bridge–Tunnel in Virginia.
Based on preliminary evidence, the victims' boat, a 1975 Manatee, was overloaded with five passengers and coolers, police told WVEC. The boat was swamped after the engine failed.
The three other people on the boat were treated and released from Riverside Hospital in Newport News.
Photo credit: WVEC (Sent in by viewer Norm King).
For more information, visit WVEC.
- Updated Spurned again in DNC vote, progressives threaten revolt
- Updated Truck rams New Orleans crowd during Mardi Gras parade; 28 injured
- Updated Trump declines to attend White House correspondents' dinner
- Judge rules against dismissing charges against Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl
- Fire reported in old Calypso Fire Station