VIRGINIA - Two men from Eastern Carolina were killed in a boating accident in Virginia over the weekend.
Police told ABC affiliate WVEC that 52-year-old Phillip Earl Smallwood and 51-year-old William T. Smallwood, both of Windsor in Bertie County, died in the accident Sunday afternoon. It happened in the James River near the Monitor–Merrimac Memorial Bridge–Tunnel in Virginia.
Based on preliminary evidence, the victims' boat, a 1975 Manatee, was overloaded with five passengers and coolers, police told WVEC. The boat was swamped after the engine failed.
The three other people on the boat were treated and released from Riverside Hospital in Newport News.
Photo credit: WVEC (Sent in by viewer Norm King).
For more information, visit WVEC.
- Updated Could Trump benefit from reverse coattails?
- Updated Residents concerned wrecks at local intersection will only get worse
- Updated House Dems to FBI: Probe alleged Trump-Russian ties
- Updated Trump announces surprise meeting with Mexican president
- Death of senior leader al-Adnani caps bad month for ISIS