VIRGINIA - Two men from Eastern Carolina were killed in a boating accident in Virginia over the weekend.
Police told ABC affiliate WVEC that 52-year-old Phillip Earl Smallwood and 51-year-old William T. Smallwood, both of Windsor in Bertie County, died in the accident Sunday afternoon. It happened in the James River near the Monitor–Merrimac Memorial Bridge–Tunnel in Virginia.
Based on preliminary evidence, the victims' boat, a 1975 Manatee, was overloaded with five passengers and coolers, police told WVEC. The boat was swamped after the engine failed.
The three other people on the boat were treated and released from Riverside Hospital in Newport News.
Photo credit: WVEC (Sent in by viewer Norm King).
For more information, visit WVEC.
- Updated Southwest pilots reach tentative deal with airline after 4 years of talks
- Updated NC DOT's Ferry Division prepares for tropical system
- Updated Tropical storm warning, small craft advisory issued for Carteret County
- Updated Hershey crashes 11% after chocolate merger talks end
- Updated Chicago, aka 'Chi-raq' likely to top 2015 in number of shootings